From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:37:18
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On 2013-08-18 10:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
8 >>>> decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
9 >>>> initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
10 >>>> best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> That is *not* the concern here, Canek, and that should be obvious from the comments here.
14 >>>
15 >>> Repeat: the primary concern is *not* about separate /usr without initramfs.
16 >>>
17 >>> The primary concern is that systemd will eventually be shoved down our throats whether we want it or not, and using eudev or mdev or *anything* other than systemd (ie OpenRC/eudev) will.
18 >>>
19 >> *snip*
20 >>>
21 >>>> When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
22 >>>> *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
23 >>>> systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
24 >>>> just*perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
25 >>>>
26 >>>> they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
27 >>>> overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>> Again, the main issue is not about separate /usr, so please stop trying to deflect the subject...
31 >>>
32 >>
33 >> Isn't that what this thread is about? "Optional /usr merge in Gentoo"
34 >>
35 >> Can someone please explain to me what's so hard and/or complicated
36 >> about making an initramfs? At this point in time it's extremely
37 >> simple for me, but I only manage relatively simple systems (although
38 >> I'd like that to change soon). All I do is add one extra line (for
39 >> example - "dracut -H --kver=3.11.0-rc6") to my kernel install
40 >> procedure.
41 >>
42 >> Granted, the only reason I have an initramfs is for the plymouth
43 >> splash screen (other systems aren't desktops) -- but from everything I
44 >> can see it's not too complicated otherwise.
45 >
46 > Yeah... it is not complicated to but Windows as well, or IBM os-390!!!
47 >
48 > You use a tool that hides the initramfs building, and you are amazed
49 > it is simple?
50
51 Dracut isn't *hiding* anything from me, I just don't need anything
52 more complicated -- who said I'm amazed?
55 > The files within the initramfs generation tool are compiled using
56 > different tool than portage, they are not updated when distribution is
57 > updated, and they are not even at same version within portage tree.
58
59 Why does this matter? Are there some huge security vulnerabilities
60 I'm unaware of?
63 > It may be acceptable for you... but do not expect everyone will accept
64 > your setup.
65
66 Don't mind me, I'm just looking for the logic. Feel free to explain it to me.
69 > Regards,
70 > Alon
74 Alecks Gates