From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 02:56:10
1 On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-18 23:08, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> I honestly cannot understand why we/Gentoo are allowing the RHL
5 >> monolithic development philosophy to break what we have. Is
6 >> Poettering the only developer available to the Linux world? Are
7 >> RHL dictating what path Debian and its cousin distros should
8 >> follow?
9 >
10 > Problem is that Linux is dependent on udev and udev is in the hands of
11 > Kay Sievers which also develops systemd together with Lennart
12 > Poettering which in turn used to be a Gnome developer... With that
13 > said, what I cannot understand is why people advocating systemd (and
14 > the kitchen-and-sink model) are using Gentoo in the first place.
15
16 Probably for exactly the same reason you or anyone else uses Gentoo;
17 USE flags, portage, you can customize at your hearts content...
18
19 > Are
20 > they just trying to make the rest of the Linux distro landscape as
21 > miserable as Fedora? Why don't they stay with Fedora instead of trying
22 > to turn Gentoo into Fedora?
23
24 I've never used Fedora. I used RedHay back in the day of RedHat 4.2
25 (it was my very first use of Linux in 1996), then moved to Mandrake
26 (remember Mandrake?), then Gentoo in 2003. I haven't used any other
27 distro since then.
28
29 I want Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux (I *really* don't
30 care if it works in *BSD, Solaris, or Windows). Believe it or not, I'm
31 pretty sure that for Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux, it
32 has to use systemd.
33
34 You don't have to agree with that, of course. But please understand
35 that I only support systemd in Gentoo, because I love Gentoo.
36
37 And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
38 decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
39 initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
40 best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
41
42 When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
43 *the OpenRC maintainer* (which is the one pushing this, BTW, not the
44 systemd guys) supporting that decision, don't you think that perhaps,
45 just *perhaps*, everybody screaming about the sky falling (which, BTW,
46 they are certainly noisy, but I really don't think are that many) are
47 overreacting and even (*gasp* again) wrong?
48
49 Just something to think about it.
50
51 Regards.