From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:18:03
1 On 2013-08-19 04:55, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > Probably for exactly the same reason you or anyone else uses Gentoo;
4 > USE flags, portage, you can customize at your hearts content...
5
6 USE flags, in my mind, are there for minimising dependencies so that I
7 don't need to install all the crap that binary distros install. That is
8 why I use Gentoo, in order to avoid all the crap that things like Gnome
9 wants to install (for instance, I have -gnome, -dbus, -gconf in my
10 make.conf in order to avoid a heart attack[1]). Customisation are only
11 possible if you allow to minimise dependencies; and it's also dependent
12 on a flexible base system (if you put restrictions on it, say, if /usr
13 can be separate or not[without an initrd], then flexibility decreases).
14
15 > I've never used Fedora. I used RedHay back in the day of RedHat 4.2
16 > (it was my very first use of Linux in 1996), then moved to Mandrake
17 > (remember Mandrake?), then Gentoo in 2003. I haven't used any other
18 > distro since then.
19
20 This is rather pointless, but I started using a Linux based OS (don't
21 remember the name, but it came on 9 floppy disks with kernel 0.93) on my
22 Amiga 4000 in the early nineties. I've used Redhat, Mandrake, Debian,
23 Slackware and others, landing with LFS in 2000 which I was happy with
24 but it was too much work so I settled with Gentoo in the early 2000
25 which is the best compromise I have found. Haven't used any other
26 "distro" since then either...
27
28 > I want Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux (I *really* don't
29 > care if it works in *BSD, Solaris, or Windows). Believe it or not, I'm
30
31 I want Gentoo to be the best *OS* for me. To me that is achieved by
32 having the widest possible selection of applications and following
33 standards as closely as possible (POSIX, FHS). I don't really care if
34 it's Linux or not but I'm most comfortable in a UNIX like environment.
35 That said, I think what you are advocating is going in a opposite
36 direction to what I want... to me the changes you seek are making Gentoo
37 going from best to bad; reducing choice/flexibility.
38
39 > pretty sure that for Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux, it
40 > has to use systemd.
41
42 I fully believe you think that systemd is the best choice for init
43 systems out there, but then again you are a Gnome user (as I understand
44 it) and to me that is quite the opposite from what I want (I abhor the
45 whole Gnome eco system and Lennart is an old Gnome dev so I can see
46 where the influences comes from). I happen to think that many small
47 tools with clearly defined interfaces (i.e. a standard) works so much
48 better and are so much more flexible than "... the one system to rule
49 them all...".
50
51 > You don't have to agree with that, of course. But please understand
52 > that I only support systemd in Gentoo, because I love Gentoo.
53
54 I understand that. The thing is, as I see it, you "support" (advocate
55 would perhaps be a better choice of words) systemd and _only_ systemd,
56 thereby "forcing it down our throats".
57
58 > And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
59 > decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
60 > initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
61 > best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
62
63 I fail to see why I should waste time and resources by having a
64 duplicate set of tools (one in the initramfs and one in /). How is that
65 a *technical* solution? I would call it bandaid. There is no difference
66 from having static binaries in / (it's just a matter of locality). So,
67 yes, I have thought about it and I don't consider it the best *decision*
68 (*gasp*).
69
70 > When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
71
72 You said "... customize at your hearts content...". To me that assumes
73 flexibility. If you take away choice, you take away flexibility. To me
74 that's a contradiction. That "almost all distributions" are converging
75 is a non-argument; it says nothing about "technical" excellence
76 (whatever that means). It may merely mean that the devs in said distros
77 have given up and just "eat" whatever crap they're served because of
78 lack of manpower or whatever.
79
80 [1] Yes, I hate Gnome with a passion ever since using it on those
81 distros mentioned above.
82
83 Best regards
84