From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:05:19
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-19 04:55, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> Probably for exactly the same reason you or anyone else uses Gentoo;
5 >> USE flags, portage, you can customize at your hearts content...
6 >
7 > USE flags, in my mind, are there for minimising dependencies so that I
8 > don't need to install all the crap that binary distros install. That is
9 > why I use Gentoo, in order to avoid all the crap that things like Gnome
10 > wants to install (for instance, I have -gnome, -dbus, -gconf in my
11 > make.conf in order to avoid a heart attack[1]). Customisation are only
12 > possible if you allow to minimise dependencies; and it's also dependent
13 > on a flexible base system (if you put restrictions on it, say, if /usr
14 > can be separate or not[without an initrd], then flexibility decreases).
15
16 USE flags are for customizations, and they are available *as long as
17 someone supports them*.
18
19 I don't use KDE (I really don't like it); I don't have nothing KDE
20 related (not even Qt) in any of my systems. AFAIK, that is not
21 possible to do in any distro other than Gentoo.
22
23 >> I've never used Fedora. I used RedHay back in the day of RedHat 4.2
24 >> (it was my very first use of Linux in 1996), then moved to Mandrake
25 >> (remember Mandrake?), then Gentoo in 2003. I haven't used any other
26 >> distro since then.
27 >
28 > This is rather pointless, but I started using a Linux based OS (don't
29 > remember the name, but it came on 9 floppy disks with kernel 0.93) on my
30 > Amiga 4000 in the early nineties. I've used Redhat, Mandrake, Debian,
31 > Slackware and others, landing with LFS in 2000 which I was happy with
32 > but it was too much work so I settled with Gentoo in the early 2000
33 > which is the best compromise I have found. Haven't used any other
34 > "distro" since then either...
35 >
36 >> I want Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux (I *really* don't
37 >> care if it works in *BSD, Solaris, or Windows). Believe it or not, I'm
38 >
39 > I want Gentoo to be the best *OS* for me.
40
41 This is where you are confused, Peter. Nobody (except you) cares about
42 your particular needs, in the same way that nobody (except me) cares
43 about mine. The developers (Gentoo devs, GNOME devs, systemd devs,
44 OpenRC devs, kernel devs) don't care (and don't have to) about
45 particular cases: they have to care about *the general cases*. Some of
46 them care about some cases, others care about others. As long as a
47 case has someone(s) to support it, that case will be supported.
48
49 So, if you want Gentoo to be the best *OS* for *you*, don't
50 necessarily expect that anybody will do the work for you.
51
52 > To me that is achieved by
53 > having the widest possible selection of applications and following
54 > standards as closely as possible (POSIX, FHS). I don't really care if
55 > it's Linux or not but I'm most comfortable in a UNIX like environment.
56 > That said, I think what you are advocating is going in a opposite
57 > direction to what I want... to me the changes you seek are making Gentoo
58 > going from best to bad; reducing choice/flexibility.
59
60 Why? eudev is there, you can use it. OpenRC is there, and if you agree
61 with its maintainer (who wants to stop supporting separated /usr
62 without an initramfs), you can keep using it.
63
64 And of course, you can freeze all your machines and never upgrade
65 again; what choices are you being denied? What is being discussed is
66 that nobody is going to do work for you, so a bad technical
67 combination (separated /usr without an initramfs) works.
68
69 >> pretty sure that for Gentoo to keep being the best possible Linux, it
70 >> has to use systemd.
71 >
72 > I fully believe you think that systemd is the best choice for init
73 > systems out there, but then again you are a Gnome user (as I understand
74 > it) and to me that is quite the opposite from what I want (I abhor the
75 > whole Gnome eco system and Lennart is an old Gnome dev so I can see
76 > where the influences comes from). I happen to think that many small
77 > tools with clearly defined interfaces (i.e. a standard) works so much
78 > better and are so much more flexible than "... the one system to rule
79 > them all...".
80
81 And who is stopping you from using your "many small tools with clearly
82 defined interfaces"? The code is there; if you are willing and able,
83 you can tune everything as you want.
84
85 Just don't expect someone will cater to your specific needs.
86
87 >> You don't have to agree with that, of course. But please understand
88 >> that I only support systemd in Gentoo, because I love Gentoo.
89 >
90 > I understand that. The thing is, as I see it, you "support" (advocate
91 > would perhaps be a better choice of words) systemd and _only_ systemd,
92 > thereby "forcing it down our throats".
93
94 First, I maintained an overlay for having only systemd (no OpenRC) for
95 several months, so I would say support.
96
97 Second, when I have said that I want to force *anyone* to use systemd?
98 Citation please.
99
100 I want Gentoo to fully support systemd (and we are almost there). I
101 don't want to force no one to use it; where did you get that from?
102
103 >> And, putting aside systemd and getting back on topic to the council's
104 >> decision of (eventually) not supporting separated /usr without an
105 >> initramfs; have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, that's the
106 >> best *technical* decision? (*gasp*)
107 >
108 > I fail to see why I should waste time and resources by having a
109 > duplicate set of tools (one in the initramfs and one in /). How is that
110 > a *technical* solution? I would call it bandaid. There is no difference
111 > from having static binaries in / (it's just a matter of locality). So,
112 > yes, I have thought about it and I don't consider it the best *decision*
113 > (*gasp*).
114
115 Well, discuss it with the OpenRC maintainer, which is the one pushing
116 the option. *Nobody* that actually has worked in the problem (the
117 *GENERAL* problem, not "my pc works like that") wants to support
118 separated /usr without initramfs. Nobody.
119
120 >> When you have almost all distributions converging on that, and even
121 >
122 > You said "... customize at your hearts content...". To me that assumes
123 > flexibility. If you take away choice, you take away flexibility. To me
124 > that's a contradiction. That "almost all distributions" are converging
125 > is a non-argument; it says nothing about "technical" excellence
126 > (whatever that means). It may merely mean that the devs in said distros
127 > have given up and just "eat" whatever crap they're served because of
128 > lack of manpower or whatever.
129
130 I think there is a lot of confusion about what it means that "Gentoo
131 is about choice". I was against that notion for a long time, but I
132 turned around and now fully embrace it, with a caveat. Allow me to
133 state the Gentoo Is About Choice Axiom:
134
135 "Gentoo is about choice, AS LONG AS SOMEONE IS WILLING AND ABLE TO
136 SUPPORT THAT CHOICE".
137
138 People are willing and able to support systemd in Gentoo, so that
139 choice is available. People are willing and able to support GNOME in
140 Gentoo, so that choice is available. People are willing and able to
141 support OpenRC in Gentoo, so that choice is available.
142
143 *Nobody* is willing *AND ABLE* to support separated /usr without an
144 initramfs. The general problem, please, not some anecdotal story about
145 how you have never had problems with it. Therefore, that choice is not
146 available, unless you find someone WILLING AND ABLE to support it.
147
148 Good luck with that.
149
150 > [1] Yes, I hate Gnome with a passion ever since using it on those
151 > distros mentioned above.
152
153 It is clear to me that much of your reasoning is clouded by that kind
154 of hate. I don't hate OpenRC; it is a very good incremental step from
155 SysV, and I have no problem with it being the default init for Gentoo.
156
157 Regards.
158 --
159 Canek Peláez Valdés