From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can cause printer to crop top of page?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 18:00:13
1 On Thursday, 21 December 2017 15:16:32 GMT tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 12/21 02:20, Mick wrote:
3 > > I've been using a Brother "HL-3140CW" model with the net-print/brother-
4 > > hl3140cw-bin-1.1.4 driver from the brother-overlay.
5 > >
6 > > Since I moved to profile 17.0 (I think) pages are being cropped at the top
7 > > when printing from various applications (LOWriter, Okular, etc.) on
8 > > different PCs.
9 > >
10 > > In LOWriter I had to set a 35mm margin at the top, to be able to get just
11 > > 13mm at the top of the physical A4 paper, before the top line of text is
12 > > printed.
13 > >
14 > > I have used the Plasma systemsettings5 for printers as well as the http
15 > > GUI of the printer to see if anything is amiss, but I can't find anything
16 > > I can change to restore the page alignment as it was a couple of weeks
17 > > ago.
18 > >
19 > > The OEM online help pages suggest to adjust the margins on the application
20 > > you're are printing from.
21 > >
22 > > Any idea what has brought about this change and how I may be able to
23 > > revert
24 > > it? Have you noticed anything similar?
25 >
26 > Hi Mick,
27 >
28 > a shot into the dark:
29 > Would it be possible, that not the profile as such has caused the
30 > problem but the recompilation of such a lot of applications?
31 [snip ...]
32
33 Thanks Meino, the problem is not with a particular application. Even when I
34 print a test page from CUPS http interface/Maintenance, the top of the page is
35 cropped and the bottom of the test page is consequently printed further up.
36
37 I'll try reinstalling the firmware next using MSWindows in case something went
38 sideways with the printer. It won't be the first coincidence this week.
41 Regards,
42 Mick