From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Insane load on gentoo server - possibly clamassassin related?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:52:56
1 On Monday 29 June 2009 19:44:49 Steve wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Looks like you have 200 processes sitting there blocking I/O. Is there
4 > > anything related in the logs?
5 >
6 > Not sure - as I'm not sure where to look, or what to look for.
7 >
8 > > Your best bet is to examine emerge.log (better still - genlop) and find
9 > > all recent upgrades that might affect this. Then roll them back one by
10 > > one till the problem goes away. Once you know the errant package, we can
11 > > start to examine diffs and see why it might behave like that.
12 >
13 > The only relevant package seems to be clamav... my emerge.log shows that
14 > I upgraded 8 packages yesterday just before 5pm - and the second of
15 > these was app-antivirus/clamav-0.95.2 - I think I simply chose to use
16 > the new configurations after issuing a dispatch-config... I didn't do
17 > anything 'adventurous'.
18 >
19 > Perhaps this might be something to do with a long-forgotten hack for
20 > clamassassin to work with clamd that might have been overwritten...
21 > (changing CLAMSCAN=/usr/bin/clamscan to CLAMSCAN=/usr/bin/clamdscan in
22 > /usr/bin/clamassassin) but this seems odd - since the date on
23 > clamassassin is 7 September 2008... and this problem with my server is
24 > very recent - it was working fine yesterday... and clamassassin hasn't
25 > been re-installed since everything worked fine - only clamav was emerged.
26 >
27 > As an interim hack, I've removed /usr/bin/clamassassin from my global
28 > procmailrc; stopped spamd; killed all the procmail and clamscan
29 > processes - and restarted postfix. This has left me with an operational
30 > server with which I can interact. It would seem very strange if I'm the
31 > only person having trouble with clamscan... in the context of what (I
32 > think) is a fairly standard postfix install.
33
34 That looks sane enough. I guess now you get to keep an eye on it for a few
35 days.
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com