From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Computer does not boot
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:51:27
1 On 1 February 2015 05:41:36 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [15-02-01 05:40]:
3 >> On 31 January 2015 18:50:19 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >> >Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 18:12]:
5 >> >> After recent upgrade my computer doesn't want to boot. I did not
6 >do
7 >> >> anything with grub or kernel.
8 >> >> I get a bios flash and next is message:
9 >> >>
11 >> >> GRUB loading stage2
12 >> >>
13 >> >> and computer goes back reboot cycle, flash bios and the same
14 >massage
15 >> >is
16 >> >> displayed.
17 >> >> What went wrong during update?
18 >> >>
19 >> >> --
20 >> >> Joseph
21 >> >>
22 >> >
23 >> >Hi Joseph,
24 >> >
25 >> >may be only a accidental coincidence...
26 >> >One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.
27 >>
28 >> If that battery is flat, the bios will complain settings are gone.
29 >> Why would that cause grub to fail?
30 >
31 >Dont know the reason...I only experienced it several times...
32
33 That the battery went flat?
34 Same here.
35
36 That a flat battery caused the bootloader to fail?
37 Never. And I doubt that is even possible.
38 At worst you would need to reconfigure the harddrive and boot order each time. (If the mainboard and Bios is from the previous century.)
41 Joost
44 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.