From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update pulling in enlightenment-0.16.9999.050
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:50:14
1 On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:08:53AM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
2 > The answer is not in the ebuild, it's in the eclass. You will find it at
3 > $PORTDIR/ecalss/enlightenment.eclass. I'll take you through the relevant bits
4 > step by step. Lines 34 to 58 are the relevant ones, and everything afterwards
5 > depends on the value assigned to E_STATE. I'll assume you are familiar with
6 > bash's parameter expansion syntax (man bash, line 1135 if not)
7 >
8 > E_STATE="release"
9 > if [[ ${PV/9999} != ${PV} ]] ; then
10 > E_STATE="live"
11 > elif [[ -n ${E_SNAP_DATE} ]] ; then
12 > E_STATE="snap"
13 > else
14 > E_STATE="release"
15 > fi
16
17 D'oh. My earlier snip was also from the same eclass. For some reason I
18 just didn't look hard enough to see if those variables were defined in
19 the same file. Thanks!
20
21 > > In other words, is it hardcoded somethere in portage that all 9999
22 > > version numbers automatically trigger that variable above to be live?
23 > > Or is there some configuration somewhere?
24 >
25 > It's a convention. No sane coder will ever release a package with version
26 > 9999, that is conventionally used by devs for their development stuff in
27 > cvs/svn/git/whatever, so vapier is just falling in line.
28
29 Not exactly what I meant. But your answer above already solve the
30 problem: in my opinion it is one thing to "fall in line" for each
31 package (in this case, enlightenment) separately, and a completely
32 different thing to just make the assumption that 9999 version numbers
33 will never be used (practical experience aside, of course :) ).
34
35 > so you could simply emerge a specific version and as long as your keywords
36 > were correct in portage.keywords, the right thing would happen.
37
38 Okay, so since I run a mostly ~x86 system, I can just keyword mask e17
39 if I don't want those packages.
40
41 I will probably just suck it up and install e17 anyway: I use DR16 on
42 my stable desktop, but mostly fvwm on my testing laptop. I tried DR17
43 a bit back on my laptop, but way back then something in the chain of
44 DR17-Xorg-my ATI video card doesn't like the eye candy. I'll give it
45 another try to see if it has miraculously gotten better. (Though I am
46 rather fond of my fvwm setup now; I just wish I can figure out a way
47 to get transparencies to play nice with some of the quirky stuff I
48 have in my configs.)
49
50 > I recommend you do what I did - read the eclass and all the ebuilds, plus man
51 > 5 ebuild, plus a long wiki document I found on the dev section at gentoo.org
52 > written by Ciaran McCreesh.
53
54 I've read man 5 ebuild and the HOWTO on the gentoo.org page. Haven't
55 seen Ciaran's wiki document yet. I think (if I have some time) I
56 should take your advice and just read the eclass and the ebuilds. I
57 read about ebuilds when I was trying to write a ebuild myself--3 days
58 into the effort, something still wasn't working, and someone else beat
59 me by putting one into sunrise. C'est la vie.
60
61 Thanks
62
63 W
64
65 PS, I'll give e17 another look. Perhaps I'll take you up on your offer
66 for the overlay.
67 --
68 I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
69 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 727 days, 13:15