From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update pulling in enlightenment-0.16.9999.050
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:07:22
1 On Thursday 04 December 2008 16:50:20 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > > It's a convention. No sane coder will ever release a package with version
3 > > 9999, that is conventionally used by devs for their development stuff in
4 > > cvs/svn/git/whatever, so vapier is just falling in line.
5 >
6 > Not exactly what I meant. But your answer above already solve the
7 > problem: in my opinion it is one thing to "fall in line" for each
8 > package (in this case, enlightenment) separately, and a completely
9 > different thing to just make the assumption that 9999 version numbers
10 > will never be used (practical experience aside, of course :) ).
11
12 yeah, those things that will "never happen" somehow always do happen.
13 Like Y2k :-)
14
15 > I will probably just suck it up and install e17 anyway: I use DR16 on
16 > my stable desktop, but mostly fvwm on my testing laptop. I tried DR17
17 > a bit back on my laptop, but way back then something in the chain of
18 > DR17-Xorg-my ATI video card doesn't like the eye candy. I'll give it
19 > another try to see if it has miraculously gotten better. (Though I am
20 > rather fond of my fvwm setup now; I just wish I can figure out a way
21 > to get transparencies to play nice with some of the quirky stuff I
22 > have in my configs.)
23
24 e17 doesn't like transparency and compiz-style effects. You can get it to work
25 with the bling module or by using a compositing manager like xcompmgr or a
26 derivative, but I found it wasn't exactly stable on nVidia. You may have
27 better luck with ATI.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com