From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update pulling in enlightenment-0.16.9999.050
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 03:34:38
1 > e17 doesn't like transparency and compiz-style effects. You can get it to work
2 > with the bling module or by using a compositing manager like xcompmgr or a
3 > derivative, but I found it wasn't exactly stable on nVidia. You may have
4 > better luck with ATI.
5
6 Going offtopic, I for myself don't care about "fancy" eye-candy at
7 all. I consider it futile. For example, my Xfce (with all compositing
8 effects disabled) looks beautiful enough, and is fast, lightweight,
9 customizable, simple and understandable.
10 The things I miss from e17 are that e17 is even more configurable (you
11 can configure what keyboard+mouse combination resizes a windows, for
12 example, while on Xfce it seems hardwired to <alt>right-click, while I
13 would prefer to use <alt>middle-click, since I often have to use GNOME
14 and would like to use the same shortcuts), and even more lightweight
15 (disk space, memory, speed) than Xfce.
16
17 I should give e17 another try when it gets a little more stable, or
18 when at least Vapier finds the time to update the snapshot ebuilds
19 (which, last time I checked, were horribly outdated).
20
21 Regards,
22 Jorge Peixoto
25 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds