From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Theoretical] Copy make.conf or Create New Profile
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:35:48
1 On Tuesday 23 September 2008 23:16:12 Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > if you are using nfs you could also put a 'central' make.conf there and
4 > > have the servers symlink to it. This way you only have to edit it once.
5 >
6 > The problem with that is that I may not want al the servers to have al
7 > of the servers running the same make.conf :)
8 >
9 > Perhaps servers in a year or two will have never processors that I want
10 > to take advantage of or I may want some use flags active on some
11 > servers, while still haveing the general set that apply to them
12 > all....With a profile I would have the flexibilty to do that, with a
13 > symlinced make file, I don't.
14
15 So your original idea makes sense:
16
17 1. put the things that stay the same in a profile
18 2. Put the things that change in each machine's make.conf or world
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com