From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:50:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:08:04 -0500
3 > Michael Mol<mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words significantly
6 >> increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as a mentalist will
7 >> presume you're thinking about '7', your average demographic would
8 >> probably draw from a small pool of source words, even latching on to
9 >> catchphrases and other memes. You're likely to see
10 >> "steamingmonkeypile", "nyanyanyan", "dontsaycandleja-" and
11 >> "hasturhasturhast-" used more than once, for example. I'd give a
12 >> better list of likely results, but I don't want to run too far afoul
13 >> of good taste in public posting. :)
14 > I agree. Longer pass{words,phrases} only increases the difficulty of
15 > the problem, but not significantly so.
20 I use those online password strength testers. I don't use the exact
21 characters tho. I replace a character with a similar one. I may
22 replace the letter A with the letter Z. I leave cases the same tho
23 since they make a difference. I at least try to get them to 100% and
24 for sites like my bank, I add a few more weird characters for good measure.
25
26 The password I use for my banks has both upper and lower case, a few
27 numbers and some of the thingys above the numbers on the top row. You
28 know, !@#$%^&*(). Mine is reasonably long but it is not based on
29 anything related to me. It's just sort of a random thing that I can
30 remember pretty well but HATE to type in. That's why I like Lastpass.
31 It fills them in for me so that I can have a really nice strong password
32 but I don't have to type it in each time.
33
34 On a security related question. Why does so many people have their
35 facebook accounts and other similar sites hacked? Do hackers just guess
36 their passwords or do they break into the websites? I have facebook,
37 myspace, google+ and a couple others and have had them for years. I
38 have never had mine hacked into, at least not yet. I'm just curious.
39 Is it a windoze thing? lol
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"