From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:49:49
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:08:04 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words significantly
5 > increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as a mentalist will
6 > presume you're thinking about '7', your average demographic would
7 > probably draw from a small pool of source words, even latching on to
8 > catchphrases and other memes. You're likely to see
9 > "steamingmonkeypile", "nyanyanyan", "dontsaycandleja-" and
10 > "hasturhasturhast-" used more than once, for example. I'd give a
11 > better list of likely results, but I don't want to run too far afoul
12 > of good taste in public posting. :)
13
14 I agree. Longer pass{words,phrases} only increases the difficulty of
15 the problem, but not significantly so.
20 Alan McKinnnon
21 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com