From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggested network fs for small lan ?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:31:29
1 On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:08:51 -0700
2 kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
5 > > Enrico Weigelt schrieb:
6 > >
7 > >> what network filesystem would you suggest for an small LAN ?
8 > >
9 > > NFS. If Windows systems need to access the resources, I'd think
10 > > about installing MS SFU on those boxes.
13 > I spent a week fighting with SFU on 2003 last month. While I'm sure I
14 > missed a number of things and did a few things wrong it was far simpler
15 > to run NFS for the Linux boxes and Samba for the Windows boxes on the
16 > main storage head rather than trying to get Windows to play nicely with
17 > NFS. YMMV.
18 >
19 > On the original question a dedicated NFS server sounds like a solution
20 > rather than chaining NFS through multiple machines.
21
22 I wasted days getting NFS to not work. I switched to CIFS. It is working very well.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list