From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OCR for music (OMR)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:01:24
1 On Monday, 21 October 2019 12:39:03 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 20/10/19 13:39, Mick wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I'm on the lookout for an application which can convert musical notation
6 > > from scanned bitmap copies/pdf files to midi files. Apparently there are
7 > > some apps in the Apple store, but I have not yet found anything in
8 > > portage.
9 > >
10 > > Do you have experience using any tools for this purpose?
11 >
12 > I'm not aware of any apps at all. Rosegarden is a midi editor, and might
13 > have some scanning ability. Lilypond is a music publishing program and
14 > can generate midi output. If you transcribed your music into either of
15 > those programs (Rosegarden would be best) you can generate midi, but
16 > that's work you clearly would rather avoid ...
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Wol
20
21 Thanks Wol, yes, I suspect asking the user to transcribe umpteen sheets of
22 music notation manually from PDF won't go down nicely.
23
24 I'll check Rosegarden again in case it can perform OMR.
27 Regards,
28
29 Mick