From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound after suspend to ram + resume...
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 02:05:37
1 On 11/26/2009 5:02 AM, daid kahl wrote:
2 >>> After suspending to ram (using hibernate-ram) and resuming, sound no longer
3 >>> works. I checked out dmesg, and it says that (among other things):
4 >>>
7 >> Check the various hybernation/acpi config files. There should be the option
8 >> somewhere in there to stop alsasound when it hybernates and start it again on
9 >> resume.
12 > My wisdom agrees with this. 90% of problems I've had getting
13 > hibernate-ram to function correctly is all in the
14 > /etc/hibernate/common.conf file. Please check these options very
15 > well. For different kernel builds or X configurations, the best
16 > settings can easily change.
17 >
18 > If you recently updated the kernel, then please reboot once again, as
19 > the alsa configurations can change slightly, and it will try to
20 > auto-convert old alsa settings. Also please run alsaconf as well to
21 > make sure the settings are correct.
22 >
23 Thanks, as I said, the problem I have now is that programs that play
24 sound (mplayer, Firefox sometimes) don't survive suspend-resume.
25 Actually, they survive, it's just that FF tends to lock up when watching
26 youtube-style videos. Sound is broken during suspend-resume, and can
27 only be fixed by closing all programs using the sound drivers, then
28 unloading and reloading the sound driver module. Unfortunately, the
29 panel volume changer applet (for LXDE, I'm using hardware from 2000,
30 remember...) is one of those programs (it took me a solid 3 hours to
31 figure that one out), so I no longer run that applet.
32
33 I am happy with my current suspend-resume setup, and can say that gentoo
34 is the only distro that successfully suspend/hibernates when using the
35 proprietary nvidia drivers, and the only one that runs with little
36 enough latency for me* (preemptable kernel ftw!). Thanks guys.
37
38 Marcus
41 *The box says "Designed for Windows Me on the side"...it ran XP until I
42 got ahold of it *evil smile*