From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:41:03
1 "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
9 >> which is at least as good as FTP?
10 >>
11 >> I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
12 >> missing features.
15 >> --
16 >> "Didn't work" is an error.
19 > The one issue I have with all the answers I've seen is that they all lack
20 > the most important question. You're asking for alternatives for an old tool
21 > that was used for many use cases that, these days, have evolved to have
22 > very different requirements for security, integration of access methods,
23 > and general workflows for use. FTP used to be the go-to for long distance
24 > file sharing for *all* use cases, one to one (user managing a website's
25 > content), many to one (upload site), one to many (download site), etc.
26 > What's your use case?
27
28 all of them, with encrypted transfers and users needing a password for
29 access
30
31 I don't know anything better than ftp for this. Alternatively, there
32 would need to be several different services for each group of users
33 accommodating their particular use case, and being a nightmare to deploy,
34 to maintain and to use.
38 "Didn't work" is an error.