From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postgresql upgrade
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 15:15:52
1 On 29/07/2017 14:27, Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > On 29 July 2017 at 12:19, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:michaelkintzios@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 > On 29 July 2017 at 12:03, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
9 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
12 > Don't use kmail
13 >
14 > Seriously, why are putting up with the pain that POS is causing you?
15 > You've been posting about serious kmail and akonadi issues for
16 > about 4
17 > years now if memory serves, and it has never gotten better. It
18 > probably
19 > never will :-)
20 >
21 > It must be well more than 4 years. What can I say, you are right, I
22 > must be glutton for punishment. LOL!
23 >
24 > TBH, it has been serving me fine for quite a few years now, although
25 > the migration to akonadi was a painful affair by all accounts. This
26 > was originally caused by me using POP3 and a tonne of filters. I
27 > moved to IMAP4 and few filters and it all worked relatively
28 > painlessly since.
29 >
30 > This however must be a postgresql related error, as it worked fine
31 > before I removed version 9.5. Any idea what this "Invalid database
32 > object during initial database connection" might be and how to
33 > recover from it?
36 That's the fancy, decorated, code equivalent of "something went wrong".
37 It's semantically meaningless, but it does say that something went wrong
38 at the beginning steps somewhere...
41 > Hmm, even more symlinks have been broken, This time I spotted
42 > /usr/bin/psql pointing to a non-existent
43 > ../lib64/postgresql-9.5/bin/psql. I came across it when I tried to
44 > connect to the database manually and couldn't run psql, but could run
45 > psql96. I'm still not sure if I did something wrong this time during
46 > the upgrade and migration and what it might have been, of if something
47 > else is amiss and merits a bug report.
48 >
49 > akonadi is still uncooperative. :-(
50 >
51 > It must be related to whatever it runs to start postgres.
52
53 Backup the postgres configs and database files, emerge -C all postgres
54 versions, make sure there are no files left with postgres in the name,
55 and emerge the version back that you want. Restore your backed up
56 configs just in case the ebuild wreaked them. Start postgres, the db
57 should be unaffected as all you did was replace binary code files.
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com