From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing a CUPS printer
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:29:21
1 On Tuesday 19 September 2006 00:48, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > At this point I believe I'm supposed to set up IPP printing on the
4 > remote machines but everything I've tried there results in messages
5 > about the printer not being found, not responding, not existing, etc.
6 > I'm telling CUPS that it's an IPP printer and trying addresses like:
7 >
8 > ipp://lightning/ipp
9 > ipp://lightning/ipp/port1
10 > etc.
11
12 I had this problem some time back and could not get it to work on two counts.
13 Name resolution would not work (so you may want to change lightning with the
14 IP address of your server); and the syntax given in the gui example was
15 wrong. So, after some good advice from this list I changed mine to:
16
17 http://192.168.0.3:631/printers/Compaq-HP
18
19 where,
20 192.168.0.3:631 is the IP address and port where the server is listening at;
21 Compaq-HP is the name I have given to the server;
22 printers is . . . err, . . . not sure, I assume it is the list of printers set
23 up on the server.
24
25 Anyway, also don't forget to allow connections from your client(s) on your
26 server and your server's firewall.
27
28 If after setting it as suggested you still can't find your way through, please
29 post back and I'll look deeper into it.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick