From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 12:09:14
1 On 2012-12-24, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 05:06:41PM +0200, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Now, also, from my understanding, this was already the case for some
6 >> time (maybe even years?). And that's why I've asked for more details.
7 >>
8 >> So, if the udev you use is OK with no initrd, what is in the new udev
9 >> that actually requires the initrd?
10 >
11 > "eselect news read" is yore freeeend ;)
12 >
13 > 2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking
14 > Title udev-181 unmasking
15 > Author William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
16 > Posted 2012-03-16
17 > Revision 1
18 >
19 > udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.
20 >
21 > This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
22 > udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
23 > system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.
24 >
25 > An initramfs which does this is created by
26 >>=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
27 >>=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
28 > sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
29 >
30 > Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.
31 >
32 > For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
33 > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
34 >
35 > You can read that systemd is *THE* problem, not udev, and that until the
36 > primma donnas fubared udev by jamming systemd into it, There Was No Such
37 > Problem (TM).
38 >
39 > And that explains where the train jumped the track...
40
41 No, actually it doesn't. It just has the same kind of very generic claim
42 that has been repeated several times in this thread (which is "why?
43 because it won't work") and links to an article that explains why some
44 udev rules would silently fail for all this time (for *years* now, I'd
45 guess).
46
47 The article does not describe a change introduced with 181, it describes
48 what already happened with previous versions. I am not using >= 181 and
49 I do see the issues the article mentions (it does not break here because
50 I do not have a separate /usr, but I can see some rules that use stuff
51 from /usr).
54 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
55 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/