From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Auto-backup tool?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:55:44
1 On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:33:52 -0200, Jerônimo Backes wrote:
2
3 > Is there a tool to make these repetitive tasks automatically? I would
4 > like to have something that just copies the updated (and new) files to
5 > my external HD, in order to keep both directories' contents in sync (on
6 > my laptop: /home/jbackes/documents; on my external
7 > HD: /mnt/external/backup/documents/) .
8
9 rdiff-backup. I've been using it for a couple of years and it does just
10 what you need. it also keeps old versions so you can roll back in the
11 event of a mistake.
12
13 > And for the activity of packing and mailing recent changed documents, is
14 > there a tool that could do this automagically?
15
16 You could use find to generate a list of files changed n the last two
17 hours, pass this list to tar - it has an option to accept a list of files
18 to archive on stdin - and then mail this to your backup account.
19
20 There's also a FUSE module to mount your gmail mail account and use it
21 for file storage, but you won't find it in portage because it breaks
22 Google's T&Cs
23 http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 You couldn't get a job as a firing squad target.