From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and kernel developers cooperating to turn it into a global cgroup manager?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:14:16
1 On Oct 20, 2013 10:44 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2013-10-20 6:52 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> So they spend a lot of money hiring developers. The more important
6 >> question is what is their agenda? What do they tell those developers to
7 >> *make*? You don't hire people without a business plan in mind.
10 > Well, once I understood their (Redhat's) motivation, which was/is
11 enterprise/cloud/vm oriented (which is why they were so concerned about
12 parallelism for startup, etc) - I dropped the conspiracy theory aspect of
13 it all... it actually does make sense in that context.
14 >
15 > And as long as Linus is at the helm of kernel development, I'm not too
16 worried about the systemd guys doing too much damage there - I just can't
17 see him letting it happen.
18 >
19 > If I were the type to worry just for the sake of worrying, I'd be
20 wondering what may happen down the road, if Linus were to suddenly lose
21 interest in kernel development (for whatever reason) and walk away from it
22 - who/what would take over the reins? But that would be pointless...
25 Linus isnt actually actively developing the kernel nowadays. Mostly he just
26 merges commits from his "trusted lieutenants" in charge of various
27 subsystems. The notion of Linus as being at the helm is mostly just a
28 convenient fiction that corporate culture (and by extension, the media) -
29 which is used to "strong leadership" - uses to make sense of open source
30 development.
31
32 That's partly why he finds it funny when people take his flames too
33 seriously, as if they were Word of God.
34
35 If he took were cut down by a sith lord, most likely morton's tree would
36 seamlessly be the new upstream.