From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 04:32:24
1 On 2009-01-18, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>>> All the packages built against mozilla-firefox won't
4 >>>> compile, if after installing firefox 3.0 you get some
5 >>>> blockers, please add 'xulrunner' to your USE-flags.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Does anybody have idea what the above sentence is trying to say?
8 >>>
9 >>> It's saying that if you use firefox -3*, then you should
10 >>> remove "firefox" from your USE and add "xulrunner" instead.
11 >>> This way, nothing in the tree will try to pull in firefox-2*
12 >>> (which obviously conflicts with firefox-3*).
13 >>
14 >> Wow. I'm not doubting that what you say is true, but how
15 >> anybody was supposed to get that from the emerge message is
16 >> beyond me.
17 >>
18 >>> There have been 4 earlier threads on this very topic in the
19 >>> last fortnight. For more details, please check the recent
20 >>> archives (rehashing the same thing over and over is getting
21 >>> really tedious)
22 >>
23 >> Sort of makes you wonder if the message is a bit too cryptic,
24 >> eh?
25 >
26 > If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a
27 > babelfish translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it
28 > is, the author of the message is certainly not a native
29 > English speaker.
30 >
31 > But the intent is easy to see if you already know how it
32 > works.
33
34 Yes, once somebody has told you the answer, it's possible to
35 make some sense of the message. But, I stand by my assertion
36 that give just the message very many people are going to figure
37 out that it means you need to replace the "firefox" use flag
38 with the "xulrunner" use flag so that apps will build against
39 firefox-3 instead of trying to build against firefox-2.
40
41 > Briefly:
42 >
43 > The gecko rendering engine was always part of firefox through
44 > versions 1 and 2. This is plain silly as such a thing should
45 > really be an independent block of code that stands alone and
46 > everything else can use without requiring that all of firefox
47 > be present.
48 >
49 > This has now been fixed, the engine is now in a package called
50 > xulrunner which firefox builds against. Other apps also need
51 > xulrunner, but if you keep "USE=firefox" intact those apps
52 > will pull in all of firefox-2 just to get gecko. If you have
53 > firefox-3 installed, you have an instant blocker. With
54 > "USE=xulrunner" they will build against xulrunner and firefox
55 > can be whatever you feel like installing.
56
57 Now I'm confused. I thought xulrunner was the user-interface
58 engine rather than the rendering engine.
61 Grant