From: Sean Reiser <sean@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:54:05
1 Fernando Meira wrote:
2
3 > Hi Tero,
4 > what I meant with "redo my partitions" was in the way that I will
5 > expand my gentoo partition (or try to).
6 > I have:
7 > # df -h
8 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
9 > /dev/hda4 4.6G 3.8G 803M 83% /
10 > udev 252M 808K 252M 1% /dev
11 > /dev/hda5 23G 20G 3.3G 86% /mnt/share
12 > /dev/hda1 9.8G 8.0G 1.8G 82% /mnt/windows
13 > none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
16 > - erase hda1 (win$) and merge with with hda4.
17 > - somehow rearrange hda5 (which is FAT) and split it 2, and merge a
18 > part to hda4.
19
20 The question is...can you live without the windows partition? if you
21 don't need it I would look at this:
22
23 1) Merge hda1 and hda4. Assuming this is desktop box that should be
24 plenty of space for the system and applications
25 2) Create a /boot partition (assuming you don't currently have one on
26 your box that wasn't mounted when you did the df). This way if your
27 system crashes at least /boot will not be corrupted.
28 3) Convert hda5 to ext3|reiserfs|jfs|mature non-fat fs of choice. Mount
29 it as /home.
30 4) Consider creating a swap partition. Even if you have plenty of RAM,
31 in my experience Linux just runs better with a swap partition mounted.
32
33 I would strongly suggest that you do a full backup before doing any of
34 this. I know there are partition resizing and reformatting utilities
35 but they I wouldn't trust them without a backup.
36
37 HTH
40 spr
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list