From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Real Time kernel patch
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:29:58
1 On 6/14/07, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > 1) Install layman
7 > > 2) Hook yourself up to the pro-audio overlay
8 > > 3) Emerge rt-sources
9 > > 4) Enjoy
12 > > If you need info on how to set up the configuration either write back
13 > > here or contact me directly off line.
14 >
15 > Hello Mark,
16 >
17 > I'm building up a system now I can devote to
18 > exploring rt kernels. My application needs
19 > are quite similar to audio requirements. Audio
20 > will be a good application to initially set
21 > up and run some tests/benchmarks.
24 > My interests is
25 > massive IO across
26 > a variety of hardware ports, simultaneously.
27 >
28 > Research on SCADA systems with 3D graphics to be specific.
31 > Thanks for the info,
32 >
33 > James
36 > James
39 Sounds quite interesting. Good luck in your studies.
40
41 As I'm sure you know audio by itself is not a large drain on
42 processing power. With that in mind you may find that adding in some
43 audio processors, such as Jamin, will add another stress to your
44 system when you're looking at how well your IO subsystem is really
45 performing.
46
47 Anyway, it's all in the pro-audio overlay. There is a good Wiki on
48 setting it up but it's so simple and well run that I'm sure you won't
49 have any troubles.
50
51 Cheers,
52 Mark