From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limit number of cores used by emerge?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:04:00
1 On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>    Is there a portage option that will limit the number of cores used
4 >> by emerge? For instance, in a chroot on a 12 core machine I want to
5 >> limit emerge to not using more than 3 cores?
6 > On my machine, even if I tell emerge to only do one job at a time, it still
7 > staggers around the cores.  I guess it makes the CPU heat spread out evenly
8 > or something.
9
10 Difference between "number of cores" and "which cores"..."-j1" should
11 mean it won't use more than one core at a time, but it might switch
12 around which core when the process gets descheduled and brought back.
13 (Or when a process ends and another is spawned)
16 :wq