From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limit number of cores used by emerge?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:11:49
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> Is there a portage option that will limit the number of cores used
5 >>> by emerge? For instance, in a chroot on a 12 core machine I want to
6 >>> limit emerge to not using more than 3 cores?
7 >> On my machine, even if I tell emerge to only do one job at a time, it still
8 >> staggers around the cores. I guess it makes the CPU heat spread out evenly
9 >> or something.
10 > Difference between "number of cores" and "which cores"..."-j1" should
11 > mean it won't use more than one core at a time, but it might switch
12 > around which core when the process gets descheduled and brought back.
13 > (Or when a process ends and another is spawned)
17 I'm not certain of why but when I am doing anything CPU intensive, it
18 bounces from one core to another every 15 or 20 seconds. I just assume
19 it is a heat thing. I created a 6Gb tarball the other day that took
20 quite a while. It looks like a bar graph equalizer with the processes
21 bouncing around from core to core. I just thought it worth mentioning
22 in case the OP didn't realize this. Heck, I have had this happen with
23 Seamonkey and I don't think it even sees multiple cores or anything.
24
25 I also forgot to mention that the IONICE line goes in make.conf if you
26 want it to be used each time.
27
28 Dale
29