From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 09:56:22
1 On Monday 04 July 2011 17:30:27 Grant wrote:
2
3 > I'm reading that ASUS and Gigabyte are the way to go for reliability.
4
5 I'm suspicious of my Asus P7P55D motherboard. It seems just fine with Gentoo,
6 and it has lots of tuning methods built in (over-clocking etc.). I've never
7 used those facilities because the box is already quite fast enough for me
8 and I value stability.
9
10 But, as I've mentioned here recently, every other distro I've tried hangs
11 randomly - even the live CDs. Someone on an Asus forum suggested I change
12 from PS/2 to USB keyboard and mouse, but meanwhile I've tried switching
13 various things off in the BIOS, and this may be working: I now get at least a
14 few hours with "Asus Express Gate" switched off (whatever that is).
15
16 I'm just one among many, of course.
19 Rgds
20 Peter