From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 16:32:56
1 >> My motherboard is getting flaky and it's time for a new one.  I have
2 >> an AMD 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR2/800 RAM, 2TB SATA2 HD, Blu-Ray burner, PCI
3 >> wireless card, 400W power supply, and ATX case.  I could replace any
4 >> of these components if it's worthwhile for some new feature, but I may
5 >> as well keep them if it's not.
6 >
7 > How do you know it's the motherboard and not the PSU for instance?
8
9 You're right, but I want HDMI and USB 3.0 so I figure I may as well
10 switch the motherboard and then the PSU if the problem doesn't
11 disappear.
12
13 >> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
14 >> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for
15 >
16 > HDMI is available on most (all?) modern graphics cards, not sure if
17 > built-ins have them though... USB 3 cards are also available.
18
19 Yeah, a video card and USB card would cost roughly the same as a new
20 motherboard and the video card would be a new source of heat and/or
21 noise.
22
23 >> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar
24 >
25 > Sounds like you want a "htpc" setup.
26
27 I guess. Gentoo has been playing my music, movies, and TV for many
28 years now. I use a wireless keyboard from the couch. Just a normal
29 xfce4 desktop. It's great.
30
31 >> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
32 >> as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
33 >> should look for?
34 >
35 > Decide roughly (Intel/AMD chipsets, features, expansion capabilities
36 > etc.) on what motherboard you want and compare reviews of it...
37
38 I'm reading that ASUS and Gigabyte are the way to go for reliability.
39
40 > I know others swear by Nvidia graphics but personally I will not touch
41 > them (not for chipsets either due to lackluster/no open driver linux
42 > support)... it's AMD (formerly ATI) for me (just don't buy the latest,
43 > greatest unless you want to wait for open driver support, even though
44
45 Yeah I'm a little worried about that with the motherboard. If
46 necessary I can keep limping along with my current motherboard while I
47 wait for drivers for the new one.
48
49 - Grant
52 > they've seem to have picked up the pace). AMD does have some great
53 > fanless graphics cards, perfect for htpc...
54 >
55 > HTH
56 >
57 > Best regards