From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem which makes gnome unusable partially solved
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:24:15
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > Hi. I am having a very bad problem which makes gnome unusable -- once I
4 > get into the virtual console where the xserver is displaying gnome,
5 > console 12 in my case, I can never get out of that console --
6 > control-alt-f1 or anything does not work. If I try to ssh in from
7 > somewhere else, I cannot stop gdm because the x server will not stop --
8 > even kill -9 will not stop it and I have to reboot the system.
11 > I am using an nvidia card with the closed source module, if that makes
12 > any difference. I re-emerged the keyboard and evdev driver, but that
13 > made no difference.
14 >
15 > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
16
17 Well, I did a couple of things, which made it work, but I think its
18 pretty fragile. First, I did go to 4.1.12 which is still the latest
19 lts. I had to reinstall the nvidia-drivers and I still had the problem,
20 interestingly enough, it manifested when I went from console 1 by moving
21 alt-left-arrow to the X console and got some kind of modeset error.
22 this led me to think that maybe nvidia-settings had something to do with
23 it and I discovered I had an old version not sure how that got to stay
24 and I tried to install the latest one, which had two effects -- it
25 downgraded nvidia-drivers to 3.55.11 and tried to install
26 nvidia-settings, but that would not install because there is a file conflict
27 with -- guess what -- nvidia drivers! So I unmerged the old one and for
28 now it seems to work, but I don't know what will happen in the future
29 this way. Very strange!
33 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
34 How do
35 you spend it?
36
37 John Covici