From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crazy KDE4 panel
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 02:21:28
1 On 1 May 2009, at 20:49, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2
3 > There is a shot of my screen (1.4MB, look at bottom and right panels):
4 >
5 > http://gaydenko.com/tmp/shot01.png
6 >
7 > which I get periodically after few hours working under KDE - at some
8 > moment
9 > crazy things happen :-) There is very long software chain from
10 > kernel video
11 > driver (intel in my case for on-board G965) to KDE4 itself (~amd64).
12 > As a
13 > result, I'm not sure where to dig in.
14
15 Looks like an overheating GPU to me.
16
17 Do you have accelerated graphics on for those panels?
18 I'll bet if you turn it off the problem will disappear.
19
20 The graphics card failed here on my Mac a year or two ago, and rather
21 than pay £200 for an Apple-branded replacement, I found a regular PC
22 graphics card on which a hacked firmware could be flashed. I have to
23 under-clock it a little, and if I'm not careful I get a very similar
24 effect to that in your pictures, but all over the screen.
25
26 If you're able to boot to Windows it might be worth playing an FPS -
27 if it crashes with graphical glitches then you may be able to get the
28 card (or m/board?) replaced under warranty.
29
30 Stroller.