From: Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crazy KDE4 panel
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 08:41:35
1 On Saturday 02 May 2009 06:21:20 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 1 May 2009, at 20:49, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 > > There is a shot of my screen (1.4MB, look at bottom and right panels):
4 > >
5 > > http://gaydenko.com/tmp/shot01.png
6 > >
7 > > which I get periodically after few hours working under KDE - at some
8 > > moment
9 > > crazy things happen :-) There is very long software chain from
10 > > kernel video
11 > > driver (intel in my case for on-board G965) to KDE4 itself (~amd64).
12 > > As a
13 > > result, I'm not sure where to dig in.
14 >
15 > Looks like an overheating GPU to me.
16 >
17 > Do you have accelerated graphics on for those panels?
18 > I'll bet if you turn it off the problem will disappear.
19
20 Say, bottom panel hasn't something special: std menu, lancelot, tasks, tray
21 and clock. Can overheating be such selectable? - I mean only KDE4 panels-
22 related problem takes place (say, my sone plays few games without any
23 problems, as well as, say, OOo/Qt/KDE and so on emerging ). And I didn't
24 overclocked something. But have added few additional silent coolers inside a
25 case :-)
26
27 > The graphics card failed here on my Mac a year or two ago, and rather
28 > than pay £200 for an Apple-branded replacement, I found a regular PC
29 > graphics card on which a hacked firmware could be flashed. I have to
30 > under-clock it a little, and if I'm not careful I get a very similar
31 > effect to that in your pictures, but all over the screen.
32 >
33 > If you're able to boot to Windows it might be worth playing an FPS -
34 > if it crashes with graphical glitches then you may be able to get the
35 > card (or m/board?) replaced under warranty.
36 >
37 > Stroller.