From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:18:08
1 On 01/08/2011 05:07 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi Joost,
3 >
4 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >
6 >> The easiest solution to this problem would be to ensure that the
7 >> USB-subsystem is not scanned before the boot-device is identified by the
8 >> kernels boot- process.
9 >>
10 >> This can be achieved by configuring the USB-mass-storage support as a
11 >> module.
12 >
13 > This is what I did now and it seems the only setup that actually brings back
14 > my root on sda3.
15 >
16 >> Another option would be to patch the kernel to either support Labels
17 >> natively or to have it include a "scan harddisks in following order:...."
18 >> option which lists which harddisk-drivers (sata/ide/usb) are scanned and
19 >> in which order.
20 >
21 > Yep. Maybe LABELs are supported in future ... it would definitely improve
22 > the situation.
23
24 I'm now using the kernel flag PARTUUID=<uuid number> to boot, and it really
25 does work. Your kernel will never again try to mount the wrong root disk :)
26 (I think this feature was added after 2.6.36. It's very recent.)
27
28 The annoying thing is that legacy grub can't do the same, and so it will
29 try to load the kernel from the wrong disk if the BIOS changes the disk
30 numbers at boot time.
31
32 I've emerged grub-2 to play with but it's quite different from legacy grub
33 and I don't yet have a good feel for it. If it solves this problem I'll
34 let you know later.