From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:18:53
1 On Saturday 07 January 2006 22:00, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm just of the mind that we really should encourage it's use, while
4 > encouraging people to also understand what's happening under the
5 > hood.
6 >
7 ...and how do you suggest that should be done? There is tons of documentation
8 available for user to read and know what is happening under the hood but no
9 one wants to RTFM. Even this problem that you faced has been clearly
10 explained along with its solution in "man emerge". How should Gentoo force a
11 user to read the documentation and the man pages?
14 > I like both that my car just works, and I don't have to know how the
15 > pistons go up and down, but that I can also look under the hood if I so
16 > desire.
17 >
18 Thinking on the wrong lines again and what you want can never happen, at least
19 with Gentoo; because Gentoo does not give you a working car at all. It just
20 gives you spare parts (ebuilds & packages), books to read (documentation) and
21 a tool box (portage). Then it tells you to go ahead and make your own car. It
22 totally depends on you whether you want to make it a blazing fast Ferrari or
23 a classy Limo. To achieve anything of that sorts you *HAVE TO* know how the
24 pistons go up and down. If you don't read and just put together the pieces in
25 a random order then you might make a moving car but it will not be a working
26 one. Moral of the story? To have full control, you gotta know how things work
27 inside the engine :)
28
29 Regards,
30 Abhay