From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 06:18:03
1 On 2009-02-04, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grante <at> visi.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's described as a system
5 >> similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
6 >> The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
7 >> better performance because all executables are optimized for
8 >> exactly the right instruction set. is practically nil in
9 >> real-world usage.
10 >
11 > Not true. You can eliminate many non-essential portions of a
12 > compiled program, via use flag and the freedom you get to
13 > select software, as opposed to other distros. Smaller
14 > executables are usually always faster.
15
16 You're right, that's another big advantage: you can control
17 what features get included/enabled in an application. Leaving
18 out features you don't use makes a big difference in many
19 applications load/startup times and library dependancies. For
20 example, leaving out the Gnome and/or KDE support in some apps
21 makes a pretty big difference. If you only use mutt with
22 "mbox" formatted mailboxes, you can leave out imap, ssl, pop,
23 and maildir support.
24
25 But that wasn't what I was talking about, and AFAICT that's not
26 what reviewers are talking about when they talk about adjusting
27 compiler flags to optimize performance. They seem to be talking
28 about building for Athlon instead of P4 (or vice-versa).
29 Perhaps I've always completely misunderstood the articles I've
30 read, and they were indeed talking about USE flags that control
31 options passed to "configure" and not about things like gcc's
32 -march and -O options.
33
34 > One *BIG* difference is when the GPUs on video cards are used
35 > as co-processors on systems. ATI and Nv are working on making
36 > general purpose "C" languages for programs to take advantage
37 > of the power of the GPU. Look for Gentoo to beat the other
38 > distros, by the very nature of how it compiles code for
39 > everything.
40
41 That would indeed be interesting.
44 Grant