From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 06:22:16
1 On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-02-04, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Grant Edwards <grante <at> visi.com> writes:
4 >>
5 >>> Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's described as a system
6 >>> similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
7 >>> The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
8 >>> better performance because all executables are optimized for
9 >>> exactly the right instruction set. is practically nil in
10 >>> real-world usage.
11 >>
12 >> Not true. You can eliminate many non-essential portions of a
13 >> compiled program, via use flag and the freedom you get to
14 >> select software, as opposed to other distros. Smaller
15 >> executables are usually always faster.
16 >
17 > You're right, that's another big advantage: you can control
18 > what features get included/enabled in an application. Leaving
19 > out features you don't use makes a big difference in many
20 > applications load/startup times and library dependancies. For
21 > example, leaving out the Gnome and/or KDE support in some apps
22 > makes a pretty big difference. If you only use mutt with
23 > "mbox" formatted mailboxes, you can leave out imap, ssl, pop,
24 > and maildir support.
25 >
26 > But that wasn't what I was talking about, and AFAICT that's not
27 > what reviewers are talking about when they talk about adjusting
28 > compiler flags to optimize performance. They seem to be talking
29 > about building for Athlon instead of P4 (or vice-versa).
30 > Perhaps I've always completely misunderstood the articles I've
31 > read, and they were indeed talking about USE flags that control
32 > options passed to "configure" and not about things like gcc's
33 > -march and -O options.
34 >
35 >> One *BIG* difference is when the GPUs on video cards are used
36 >> as co-processors on systems. ATI and Nv are working on making
37 >> general purpose "C" languages for programs to take advantage
38 >> of the power of the GPU. Look for Gentoo to beat the other
39 >> distros, by the very nature of how it compiles code for
40 >> everything.
41 >
42 > That would indeed be interesting.
43
44 This thread is not complete without the obligatory link:
45
46 http://funroll-loops.info/
47
48 :)