From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] weird 1000baseT problem
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:49:13
1 Hi folks,
2
3 this message is rather lengthy. If you don't feel like reading all of it
4 please don't bother to answer. You'll need the whole lot to get the
5 picture. ;-)
6
7 I have run into a weird network problem with 1Gb NICs. It involves these two
8 boxes:
9
10 Box A
11 P4 2.8Ghz HT
12 512GB ram
13 Tigon Gb NIC (module tg3)
14 IDE drives
15
16 Box B
17 Xeon 2.6Ghz HT
18 512GB ram
19 Intel Pro/1000 Gb NIC (module e1000)
20 SCSI RAID5
21
22 The two of them are connected by a cross-over cable. So nothing else is on
23 that network, kinda peer-to-peer connection. Both boxes are running *exactly*
24 the same gentoo software. I emerged it on one box, tarred it up, copied it
25 over to the other one and made the config changes like IP addresses, names
26 and such. Kernel is 2.6.12-gentoo-r6. Of course, box B loads the SCSI
27 modules. All file transfers I am talking about are done with a file
28 "all.tar.bz2" of the size of 1088MB. Both boxes are idle otherwise. Neither
29 box runs services like FTP or HTTP. So I have to resort to other protocols to
30 transfer files. Both do run NFS and SSH.
31
32 Case 1:
33 I log into A and NFS mount B's /tmp on A's /mnt/floppy and cd to /tmp.
34 "cp /mnt/floppy/all.tar.bz2 ." (receiving on A) as well as "cp
35 all.tar.bz2 /mnt/floppy" (sending from A) result in a sustained transfer rate
36 of 2xMB/s. That's to be expected because it involves an IDE drive on A, and
37 that's about the limit of current IDE drives (though 1Gb NICs can transfer
38 data at about 4 to 5 times that rate). It also confirms that both Gb NICs are
39 performing though it doesn't confirm they are getting near their theoretical
40 limits (the latter unimportant in this case).
41
42 Case 2:
43 I log into A and sftp into B. "get all.tar.bz2" (receiving on A) transfers the
44 file at 2xMB/s, same as in case 1. CPU utilisation is up to 40-50% due to
45 encryption. Still, encryption does not slow down the transfer rate by any
46 significant amount. This can be expected with the CPUs involved.
47
48 Case 3:
49 I log into A and sftp into B. "put all.tar.bz2" (sending from A) transfers the
50 file at 3.7MB/s!!!!! This is far slower than on a 100baseT network where I
51 get transfer rates of about 10MB/s with the network being the bottleneck
52 rather than the harddisks. CPU utilisation is down to about 10%, indicating
53 that something else than encryption is throttling the transfer. This is odd!
54
55 Case 4:
56 I log into B and try to NFS mount A's /tmp to B's /mnt/floppy. It returns with
57 an RPC timeout. So I can't do the "cp" test from B.
58
59 Case 5:
60 I log into B and sftp into A. It sits there for about 10 seconds before
61 presenting me with a password prompt. ???? After, I get transfer rates close
62 to case 2 and case 3, just the other way round.
63
64 I am puzzled. First I thought that the Gb NIC on box A is somehow kaput but
65 case 1 surely shows it is performing. What the heck is going on here? I would
66 be deeply indebted to any person on this list that could shed some light on
67 this. Any hint what to investigate would be highly appreciated. Really. This
68 has troubled me for the last three days and I would go as far as ship you a
69 Windhoek Lager. ;-)
70
71 Uwe
74 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
75 developers. - Linus Torvalds
76
77 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
78 --