From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raspberry Pi & Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:58:04
1 On Wed, 16 April 2014, at 4:54 pm, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> In terms of frying/bricking USB sticks are just the same kind of flash memory as in SD-cards, surely?
4 >>
5 >> Both are $8 for 16GB of storage, so wear / failure is only a concern if the server is to be inaccessible.
6 >
7 > But not every flash-memory is the same. Are you sure SD and
8 > USB are about the same? I thought USB-sticks were a little
9 > higher (comparable with CF, which is surely more reliable
10 > than SD)...
11
12 I understood that it depended mostly on the brand.
13
14 I'd trust any Kingston, Crucial or Samsung flash memory device (bought from a reputable supplier - I hear lots of talk of fakes) over any unbranded USB key bought from eBay or the local market.
15
16 microSD memory is relied upon by practically everyone with a mobile phone, these days. I would assume that manufacturers would try to make all flash memory devices about equally reliable.
17
18 Stroller.