From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using open-vm-tools w/ESXi?
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 00:59:28
1 On 01/16/2014 01:35 PM, Jarry wrote:
2 >
3 > BTW if all you want is safe shutdown, it can be done even without
4 > vm-tools (which I personally do not like at all). In vSphere-client
5 > I have "suspend" instead of shutdown (current state with memory
6 > snapshot is saved), from ESXi you'd have to play a little with
7 > /sbin/shutdown.sh script (i.e. with ssh/keys to log into all VM
8 > and shut them down), and for power-interruption you can use NUT
9 > (which I find better than apcupsd or PowerChute, because there is
10 > native NUT-client for ESXi)...
11 >
12 > apart from apcupsd
13 > you can use NUT (which I find better, there is native ESXi-client).
14 >
15 > Jarry
18 I did some testing a while back, suspending took significantly longer
19 than just shutting down the VMs. In my case I needed the Guest Shutdown
20 to work.
21
22 I don't run any UPS monitoring software on any VMs, I use the vMA
23 appliance with the APC PCNS software to signal the host of a failure.
24 The host then shuts down the VMs then powers down itself.
25
26 Dan