From: Alexey Mishustin <shumkar@×××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old Firefox ebuild?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 09:06:53
1 2016-10-16 2:41 GMT+03:00 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>:
2 > On 161014-21:39+0300, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
3 >> Hello.
4 >>
5 >> 2016-10-14 21:02 GMT+03:00 Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>:
6 >> > Does anyone have a copy of the firefox 38.x ebuild around?
7 >>
8 >> Attached.
9 >>
10 >> > The latest update wiped it out, and now if I take the plunge to the
11 >> > current versions (i.e. at least 45.x) and I find then insufferable,
12 >>
13 >> Agree!
14 >>
15 > I may agree too, if some facts fall into place. Read on.
16 >
17 > I was wondering how safe is running Firefox 38.x at this day and age?
18 >
19 > If you look up:
20 > http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/mozilla-checks-if-firefox-is-affected-by-same-malware-vulnerability-as-tor/
21 > ( continued and improved from:
22 > https://hackernoon.com/tor-browser-exposed-anti-privacy-implantation-at-mass-scale-bd68e9eb1e95#.ctpp9u5fl )
23 > and especially the Jacob Appelbaum's:
24 > https://blog.torproject.org/blog/detecting-certificate-authority-compromises-and-web-browser-collusion
25 > So if you recall (some of the readers must have read those) the issues
26 > there, and how badly Firefox was exposed and pretty often, then my query
27 > is how do you assess how secure Firefox 38.x that you install might be?
28 >
29 > Regards!
30
31 Yeah, it's an usual dilemma: old version is vulnerable, new version sucks.
32
33 From my point of view, if there's a MITM, then Firefox is not the only problem.
34
35 Besides ruining the cookies management (should one install an addon
36 now? like Cookies Manager+?), new versions of Firefox succeeded to
37 hang all the OS, when I was working with Google maps (never been with
38 older versions).
41 Regards,
42 Alex