From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old Firefox ebuild?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 23:40:57
1 On 161014-21:39+0300, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > 2016-10-14 21:02 GMT+03:00 Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>:
5 > > Does anyone have a copy of the firefox 38.x ebuild around?
6 >
7 > Attached.
8 >
9 > > The latest update wiped it out, and now if I take the plunge to the
10 > > current versions (i.e. at least 45.x) and I find then insufferable,
11 >
12 > Agree!
13 >
14 I may agree too, if some facts fall into place. Read on.
15
16 I was wondering how safe is running Firefox 38.x at this day and age?
17
18 If you look up:
19 http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/mozilla-checks-if-firefox-is-affected-by-same-malware-vulnerability-as-tor/
20 ( continued and improved from:
21 https://hackernoon.com/tor-browser-exposed-anti-privacy-implantation-at-mass-scale-bd68e9eb1e95#.ctpp9u5fl )
22 and especially the Jacob Appelbaum's:
23 https://blog.torproject.org/blog/detecting-certificate-authority-compromises-and-web-browser-collusion
24 So if you recall (some of the readers must have read those) the issues
25 there, and how badly Firefox was exposed and pretty often, then my query
26 is how do you assess how secure Firefox 38.x that you install might be?
27
28 Regards!
29 --
30 Miroslav Rovis