From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] AMD 64 bit system selections
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:05:57
1 Hello,
2
3 We'll I'm finally taking the plunge and building a high performance
4 64 bit AMD system. Oh, but the company paying for it insist upon
5 windozXP 64bit, just in case Gentoo does not work. I'm really surprise
6 some vendor is not listed on gentoo.org, as it'd make this purchase
7 more straightforward, and It'd be a great opportunity to support Gentoo.
8 Any 'off the shelf' system recommendations, or should I just purchase
9 pieces? (Reasonable vendors that build systems and perform Gentoo
10 installation here in the US?)
11
12 What's the best 64 bit processor choice for performance for Gentoo?
13 Dual-core?
14 Complimentary ram specs?
15
16 Mobo recommendations (lm_sensors and acpi support) in a 19 inch rack?
17
18 N+1 redundant power supply recommendations?
19
20 10/100/1000 Ethernet support?
21
22 What's the friendliest high end video card for displaying video
23 (fast motion) that has open source drivers? Multiple displays?
24
25 Which Sata-2 drives give good performance and size (400 G or more)?
26
27 What's the best Raid level to run for storing, searching and manipulating
28 tons of video, and should I get a Gentoo friendly controller or use
29 software raid?
30
31 Finally which file system would one recommed for this video server
32 with the best, stable performance.
36 ideas?
37
38 James