From: David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dns at startup
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:53:52
1 When I boot my latpop, ntpdate doesn't work. It fails saying there is a
2 "temporary failure in name resolution" it cannot lookup pool.ntp.org .
3 After my system finishes booting, "/etc/init.d/ntp-client start" works fine.
4 The script is running nearly last from the output, and after a few other
5 'network related' scripts (exim, mysql, lisa), so I don't *think* it's
6 'running too early'.
7
8 When I look through the init.d scripts, there are a handful that 'use dns',
9 but no one seems to provide it. I'm not sure this is the cause, but I'd like
10 to understand why no one provides it. More important though is fixing it so
11 ntpdate works on boot.
12
13 Any pointers welcome.
14 Thanks.