From: Rohit Sharma <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dns at startup
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:07:13
1 David Corbin wrote:
2
3 >When I boot my latpop, ntpdate doesn't work. It fails saying there is a
4 >"temporary failure in name resolution" it cannot lookup pool.ntp.org .
5 >After my system finishes booting, "/etc/init.d/ntp-client start" works fine.
6 >The script is running nearly last from the output, and after a few other
7 >'network related' scripts (exim, mysql, lisa), so I don't *think* it's
8 >'running too early'.
9 >
10 >When I look through the init.d scripts, there are a handful that 'use dns',
11 >but no one seems to provide it. I'm not sure this is the cause, but I'd like
12 >to understand why no one provides it. More important though is fixing it so
13 >ntpdate works on boot.
17 Hi,
18
19 I have the same problem here. Temporarily what I did was after the
20 machine has booted up, I run the ntp-client script by hand as root.
21 Nothing elegant there.
22
23 However, evidently, the script _is_ running to early, definitely earlier
24 than your network setup. Once resolv.conf is set up properly and the
25 nameservers in there are reachable, your error would go away.
26
27 I am on home ADSL and I realise that although my resolv.conf is static
28 [since their DNS are fixed], I should still run ntp-client _after_ the
29 link to DNSes is up [via my USB modem]. I am yet to ensure that this
30 script starts after my network config script start. My netconfig script
31 is actually hand crafted - since my modem is unsupported sort of. So I
32 had put that script last in the startup order. Hence my problem -
33 something similar may be happening at your end.
34
35 "use dns" probably refers to DNS server [running on your local host -
36 which is not the case with most of us, as we don't run DNSes of our own]
37
38 HTH,
39 Rohit
40 --