From: David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dns at startup
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:18:28
1 On Sunday 16 April 2006 04:02 am, Rohit Sharma wrote:
2 > David Corbin wrote:
3 <snip>
4 > I am on home ADSL and I realise that although my resolv.conf is static
5 > [since their DNS are fixed], I should still run ntp-client _after_ the
6 > link to DNSes is up [via my USB modem]. I am yet to ensure that this
7 > script starts after my network config script start. My netconfig script
8 > is actually hand crafted - since my modem is unsupported sort of. So I
9 > had put that script last in the startup order. Hence my problem -
10 > something similar may be happening at your end.
11
12 The machine I'm having the problem with has a permanent network connection,
13 with a DHCP address. But as near I can tell, my ethernet script (the
14 standard one) has been run some time ago.
15
16 > "use dns" probably refers to DNS server [running on your local host -
17 > which is not the case with most of us, as we don't run DNSes of our own]
18
19 I kind of figured that, but at the same time, why would the various scripts
20 care where the DNS is being resolved from?
23 > HTH,
24 > Rohit
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list