From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public wifi blocking ports
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 08:43:37
1 On 25/12/14 15:43, Joseph wrote:
2 > I've installed "zoiper" (this is an softphone app to connect to my
3 > Asterisk server) on my old phone and it works on my private network over
4 > wifi.
5 > I'm using standard IAX port 4569 to register, so this port is open on my
6 > firewall.
7 >
8 > But when I catch an open public wifi network in a Mall or a Tim Horton
9 > "zoiper" failed to register.
10 >
11 > Do they block outgoing ports of public WiFi networks? What are my
12 > alternatives?
13 >
14 > I can open any port on my DD-Wrt and redirect it to my Asterisk server.
17 Quite often happens in this part of the world. I run an openvpn ssl vpn
18 on port 443 with an ssl multiplexor on the server end - route all the
19 voip traffic through the vpn. Doesnt work well if bandwidth is really
20 constrained but its the difference between having at least something or
21 nothing at all.
22
23 BillK