From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot shutdown or reboot because of logind disconnection
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 13:08:39
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 8:21 AM johnstrass <johnstrass@×××.com> wrote:
4 > Why is the logind so fragile?
5
6 Have you checked your logs. I'm guessing that the kernel OOM killer
7 is killing it, and it is kind of hard for a process to not die when
8 the kernel kills it.
9
10 > Why cannot it be brought up again after the memeory become available again?
11
12 I suspect it probably could be - probably not a failure mode upstream
13 has paid much attention to. If the OOM killer is loose on your
14 system, general breakage is to be expected. It is actually surprising
15 though that it didn't go after gcc itself. I'd check the logs.
16
17 You probably could tweak the unit setting so that logind is less
18 likely to get prioritized. Then it might go after something less
19 essential like sshd or postfix. :)
20
21 Also possible that it isn't logind itself but something else it uses
22 for IPC. Haven't looked into the gory details of how it works.
23
24 I'm guessing systemd could be coaxed to shut down without it. It
25 might actually do that on its own if you give it time, but I haven't
26 checked the settings.
29 Rich