From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:33:27
1 On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 19:01 -0500, jamesc@××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri Jun 8 16:38 , Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> sent:
5 > Yeah, that's me, I do exactly the same until you issue the cp command where I do:
6 > $>cd /mnt/oldstuff && tar cvjpf /pathtosomewhere/mystuff.tbz ./
7 > and then extract to the new directory. I do this out of habit mostly and, yes,
8 > it is a useless step unless you want to store a copy somewhere for whatever reason...
9 >
10 > --James
11
12 The one thing I mentioned is that I actually pipe tar to tar (tar -c ...
13 | tar -x ...) which seems even more useless, but as I said I'm used to
14 doing some things out of habit. Then I thought about why: the '-a' flag
15 is not available on all *nices... I believe it's a GNU extension. So I
16 probably got used to using the tar trick on a non-GNU system and got
17 used to it because it works whether I'm using Linux or not. But if
18 you're on a Linux system (that has rsync installed) then rsync is
19 probably the nicer option. It's got even more options than GNU's cp. I
20 actually 'alias cp="rsync"' on my Gentoo systems.
21
22 'dd' is good if you want to preserve filesystem/geometry but not good if
23 you don't.
24 --
25 Albert W. Hopkins
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list