From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:45:27
1 On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:13:07 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I have /boot on a plain ext2 partition, root is also on a
4 > plain ext4 partition.  Everything else, /home, /usr, /var etc is on
5 > LVM.
6
7 > If I hadn't had a separate /usr, I would have had to move things around
8 > to grow /usr.  I've done that in the past and got very tired of doing it
9 > the hard way.  With LVM, it's just a few commands and is done while in
10 > use even.  I don't even have to logout, reboot or anything.  That's a
11 > very good reason for having /usr separate from /.
12
13 I'd say it's more a very good reason to put / on LVM too. I used to use a
14 separate /usr but found no real benefit so I now leave it as part of /.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance from Mom.