From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:16:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:13:07 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have /boot on a plain ext2 partition, root is also on a
5 >> plain ext4 partition.  Everything else, /home, /usr, /var etc is on
6 >> LVM.
7 >> If I hadn't had a separate /usr, I would have had to move things around
8 >> to grow /usr.  I've done that in the past and got very tired of doing it
9 >> the hard way.  With LVM, it's just a few commands and is done while in
10 >> use even.  I don't even have to logout, reboot or anything.  That's a
11 >> very good reason for having /usr separate from /.
12 > I'd say it's more a very good reason to put / on LVM too. I used to use a
13 > separate /usr but found no real benefit so I now leave it as part of /.
18 Well, if / is on LVM and /usr needs room, one can just grow / which
19 would increase /usr to, if it is on / and not separate.  At the time, I
20 wasn't comfortable putting / or /boot on LVM.  I'm not sure it was
21 doable then.  I think it required more of the init thingy than I knew
22 how to deal with.  It sounds like it may be a lot easier now.  Come to
23 think of it, I think I was on the old grub back then.  Speaking of, can
24 I get rid of one of these or are both required?  If I can remove one,
25 which one?  I'm on the new grub and have been for a while.  I think I
26 uninstalled the old grub a long time ago.
29 root@fireball / # du -shc /boot/grub*
30 34M     /boot/grub
31 6.9M    /boot/grub2
32 41M     total
33 root@fireball / #
36 If I can get rid of the plain grub, that would free up some space.  The
37 grub2 directory isn't as big but still wouldn't hurt.
38
39 Dale
40